Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Would it be cheaper

Old Message
25 June, 2001 01:52AM
Posted by MarkyB on January 28, 19101 at 21:13:14:

In Reply to: Re: Would it be cheaper to buy a mountain bike in Canada and bring it back to the
UK? posted by Si on January 03, 19101 at 17:57:10:

Agree with everything Si says, in addition ?700 now will buy you ?900 worth of last years model if u shop around ( Evans Cycles,
Leisure Lakes etc, or even better your own LBS)

The LBS is always the best option for warranty issues, servicing etc, can save a lot of heartache.
Cheers.

: Unless you are
going to be out in Canada for in excess of 3 months (I believe) you will probably find that by the time you add on the shipping charges, VAT and Import Duty upon re-entry into Britain, you
will more than likely have spent just as much if not more than you would have on a comparable model in the UK.
: You would similarly lose any potential goodwill servicing etc that you
would generally receive from a UK shop who sold you a bike. A budget of ?700 buys a lot of bike and most Dealers like customers and tend to help them out after spending such an amount so it
is worth balancing any savings you might make in Canada against any excess costs which you will incur upon your return.

: The final comment would be one of warranty. If you buy a bike
in a foreign country, you have no legal right to any warranty from a UK retailer or even distributor so if anything goes wrong it could end up costing you dearly.

: Just my
thoughts!

: : Greetings to everyone and a happy new year. I have a question regarding purchasing a mountain bike abroad. I will be going to Canada in the summer and I am thinking about
buying a new mountain bike. Has anyone done anything similar and if so what arrangements would I need to make and is it cheaper considering shipment and other hidden extras? I would be
bringing the bike back myself and I am probably going to spend the around ?700.
Subject Author Posted

Would it be cheaper to buy a mountain bike in Canada and bring it back to the UK?

Old Message 25 June, 2001 01:51AM

Re: Would it be cheaper to buy a mountain bike in Canada and bring it back to the UK?

Old Message 25 June, 2001 01:51AM

Re: Would it be cheaper

Old Message 25 June, 2001 01:52AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.