Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: New to cycling, advice on first bike

virtualgab
10 June, 2011 02:04PM
Hi there, I also recently just got my first bike and took my first wobbles on it in my local park. I am in a similar situation to you - leaving it locked up in the street - so I decided to get the best deal I could on eBay as a starter bike. I also wanted something that could withstand some bashes while I learn to ride, without me feeling anxious about possibly destroying an expensive bike. I watched bikes on eBay for a few weeks - most of the ones that sounded reasonable went for something in the £40s, but there's a lot of luck involved too. I got mine for £25 - very lucky because it's sturdy and everything works fine, even if it's got a bit of rust on it. I got a mountain bike on advice from a friend - thicker wheels apparently means it's easier to balance as a beginner. I am 5'3" and have an 18" frame - it's fine for me. The saddle was too high when I got it but a friend helped me to lower it. (Oh and it is also a so-called men's bike, but there is no difference actually, unless you plan to ride in a dress/ skirt, in which case the higher bar might be a nuisance.)

I have had the bike about 2 weeks and so far have only ventured to ride (wobble) around the park - mostly on the grass so I'll have a soft landing in the event of a fall. I wouldn't dream of riding on roads to get to the park yet, and if I had a child, I wouldn't want to put her at risk by having her on the back of the bike until I was a LOT more confident about steering, balancing, avoiding obstacles, and generally staying alive on the thing myself. So if I were you, I would just get a cheap bike for starters and practise alone for as long as it takes to gain the necessary competence. Then you'll be in a much better position to choose a bike that you like.
Subject Author Posted

New to cycling, advice on first bike

patamel 03 June, 2011 01:38PM

Cotterpin 03 June, 2011 04:17PM

patamel 03 June, 2011 09:41PM

DocB 04 June, 2011 10:18AM

virtualgab 10 June, 2011 02:04PM

Cotterpin 10 June, 2011 11:26PM

DocB 11 June, 2011 08:02AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.