Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Derailleur Gear Ratio Calculator - limitation

09 June, 2011 10:31PM
Hi Cotterpin,

Yes, my sons and many of my cycling friends agree that I have ridiculously low gears.

The reason I have such low gears is that I'm getting old (65+), only have half the strength I had 40 years ago, and still enjoy cycling; also I'd rather cycle up a hill than walk (sciatica affects me when walking but not when cycling). I cycled John O'Groats to Lands End last year (carrying all luggage on bike, no support, 11-34 cassette) and found that I couldn't manage hills much steeper than 1 in 9 when loaded. Next week I'm cycling London to Brighton, and am determined to cycle up Ditchling Beacon, as I have done for the last 30 years. Effective speed in bottom gear with 12-36 cassette is less than 3 miles per hour (yes it would be quicker to walk), but I'll still be able to say that I cycled the whole way. The very bottom gear is really a bailout; I expect to get up most of Ditchling Beacon using the second to bottom gear (32 teeth), since two years ago I was switching between 30 and 34 teeth on the climb.

As far as balancing goes I don't seem to have much problem at low speeds, even with loaded panniers on the front wheel. Certainly I can handle lower speeds than many of my cycling friends.

- Murray

P.S. My Brompton with 14-speed hub gear has the same bottom gear as my touring bike.
Subject Author Posted

Derailleur Gear Ratio Calculator - limitation

Murray R Langton 09 June, 2011 02:21PM

siwatts 09 June, 2011 03:31PM

Cotterpin 09 June, 2011 06:02PM

Murray R Langton 09 June, 2011 10:31PM

siwatts 01 July, 2011 10:03AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.