Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Hybrid or Cyclocross - confused??

25 August, 2011 07:49AM
Second Murray's comments.

Halfords bikes, at least in my opinion, don't offer particularly good value and sticking the name of a famous cyclist on the down tube does not alter the fact that underneath, the Boardman bikes are just another Halfords offering.

Cyclocross or Hybrid? The real question you need to answer is whether you want a road or hybrid ride position. I'm going to make a general statement for which there are exceptions. Generally on a road bike you are looking for speed and efficiency and for that you tend to have a more laid out, more bent over ride position. On a hybrid, you are looking more for comfort and for that you tend to have a more upright riding position. Both bikes will give you off road capability. If you take care and don't push the boundaries too hard then its amazing how far you can go. What is best for you will depend on your build and fitness level. My take on it is that if you are not in the first flush of youth and have not been riding a road bike up to now then the more comfortable hybrid ride position might be better for you.

Your best way forward is to find a decent bike shop where you can sit on the different types and chat to somebody more interested in getting you on the right bike rather than obeying instructions to push particular models.
Subject Author Posted

Hybrid or Cyclocross - confused??

Seve 21 August, 2011 06:59PM

Murray R Langton 24 August, 2011 08:33PM

DocB 25 August, 2011 07:49AM

cotterpin 26 August, 2011 11:04AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.