Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Should I buy a new hybrid bike ?

03 September, 2011 02:56PM
Hi Sarah,

Sorry I don't know much about any specific suspension systems. Any suspension system is going to add some weight to a bicycle. In order to cover the cost of a suspension system a bike may use lower quality components elsewhere. It's largely a matter of balance - are all the components of about the same level of quality; better quality components tend to be lighter and/or last longer. Some suppliers provide higher quality components on the more visible parts of a bike and lower quality components elsewhere (e.g. wheel bearings and bottom bracket).

As far as tyres go, I can comment on that. Knobbly mountain bike tyres, especially if not inflated very hard, can result in an energy loss of as much as 15%. Narrow racing tyres (around 25 mm) have very little energy loss but are usually inflated so hard that they do nothing to cushion any bumps in the road, and are not really suitable for off-road use. Hybrid tyres (35mm or 38mm) are a compromise which allow mild off-road use but which are reasonably efficient on-road, and which provide some cushioning. Tests have shown that road grip is just as good for smooth tyres as for those with a tread, but a moderate tread may be better for mild off-road use. I have tried tyres which have a smooth central portion and noticeable tread on the edges, but found these personally unsatisfactory since when I lean over on a fast corner the handling suddenly changes dramatically as the tread contacts the road.

Transmission efficiency (chain and sprockets) can be drastically reduced if things get rusty - regular mild lubrication is better than very occasionally flooding the chain etc.

- Murray
Subject Author Posted

Should I buy a new hybrid bike ?

Sarah9685 02 September, 2011 07:54PM

nicm 02 September, 2011 08:34PM

Sarah9685 02 September, 2011 09:29PM

Murray R Langton 03 September, 2011 08:26AM

Sarah9685 03 September, 2011 10:04AM

Murray R Langton 03 September, 2011 02:56PM

DocB 03 September, 2011 06:29PM

Sarah9685 04 September, 2011 08:55AM

Murray R Langton 04 September, 2011 08:34PM

Sarah9685 05 September, 2011 10:12PM

Murray R Langton 05 September, 2011 10:38PM

Sarah9685 06 September, 2011 09:06PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.