Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Newbie doesn't understand gears

05 November, 2011 11:26AM
Hi and thank you everyone for your sound advice. I picked the bike up on Saturday but apart from a short turn up and down the street, I haven't had chance to get out on it due to a leg muscle problem which thankfully seems to be sorting itself out now.

I will be taking it very slowly at first as I'm not fit at all, but having just lost 1 1/2 stone, and having another 4 stone to go, I wanted to add exercise to my routine and eventually be able to use it to commute the very hilly route to work. I'm not at all confident on the bike at all, which may be another reason why I haven't been out on it yet, but I keep looking at it longingly and wishing I could pluck up the nerve to just get on it! I followed all the instructions about seat height and agree it is definitely easier to pedal, but I am shaky and nervous when riding as I know I can only reach the ground on my tiptoes.

Oh, was it Doc B who mentioned about checking the bike out because the shop I bought from was renowned for not putting them together properly? Well, ha, yes. My saddle had been put on the wrong way round so that the front end stuck up in the air and was VERY uncomfortable and my gears and brakes were so far round and underneath my handlebars that I could hardly reach them or see what number gear I was on. This has all bee put right now thanks to a friend - but I was really shocked that a shop can sell a bike put together so badly!!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice. I'm pretty sure I'll be back here again soon asking more questions and hopefully more confident about my riding.

Best wishes, Karen (Puddlescat)
Subject Author Posted

Newbie doesn't understand gears

Puddlescat 28 October, 2011 05:33PM

Murray R Langton 28 October, 2011 09:02PM

Puddlescat 29 October, 2011 09:05AM

Murray R Langton 29 October, 2011 06:02PM

cotterpin 29 October, 2011 10:48PM

DocB 30 October, 2011 07:23AM

Murray R Langton 31 October, 2011 09:26AM

Puddlescat 05 November, 2011 11:26AM

DocB 05 November, 2011 06:42PM

Puddlescat 05 November, 2011 07:20PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.