Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Newbie doesn't understand gears

05 November, 2011 07:20PM
Hi Doc B

Thanks for the advice, and I understand how those people feel! Seems like a great idea to get a bike to get fit, but it's not quite as easy as you remember from being a child when you start back up.

I am planning to take it to a proper cycle shop for a full checkover before I go very far on it. The bike itself is good and solid. I know the brakes are working fine and are set right as I actually made them readjust those in the shop. Even as a novice I could see they weren't right when I went to pick it up. I'm not sure about the gears though. A couple of times it's seemed to jump two and it feels odd, but that might be just because I'm not used to gears.

I went for a short ride today, but I need to build up confidence, strength and stamina. I was really wobbly and after just 10 minutes my legs were like jelly! I know it's going to take time, but I'm hoping after a couple more attempts I'll regain my balance. Somehow I thought that because I used to ride my bike a lot as a kid that I'd just jump on and be able to control it perfectly. Ha - I know better now! I AM determined to keep it up though. This is one bike that wont be in the For Sale section of the paper next year!

Best wishes

Karen
Subject Author Posted

Newbie doesn't understand gears

Puddlescat 28 October, 2011 05:33PM

Murray R Langton 28 October, 2011 09:02PM

Puddlescat 29 October, 2011 09:05AM

Murray R Langton 29 October, 2011 06:02PM

cotterpin 29 October, 2011 10:48PM

DocB 30 October, 2011 07:23AM

Murray R Langton 31 October, 2011 09:26AM

Puddlescat 05 November, 2011 11:26AM

DocB 05 November, 2011 06:42PM

Puddlescat 05 November, 2011 07:20PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.