Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: New to Cycling - Expert Advice Needed

30 November, 2011 06:53PM
Hi iantokyo,

Having experienced Tokyo, albeit a few years ago, I have abit of an idea about what you are facing. At least the traffic is well behaved as are the pedestrians so that will help.

To kick you off Ill put up a couple of broad issues....

To get the miles and speed you are looking for then you will most likely be best suited by a 700C wheeled bike with road gearing. 26 inch wheeled bikes are fundamentally low geared even on the non suspension urban style bikes and this will restrict top speed - your legs won't be able to pedal fast enough.

For urban riding an upright riding position generally is better simply because you are more aware of what is going on around you, absolutely essential in the urban environment.

So I suggest you start your search by looking at the new breed of what I call straight handle barred road bikes. These tend to have road geometry and gearing but without dropped handle bars. Look at the Flight series on Ridgeback.co.uk to see what I mean. You will not be able to buy the Ridgeback in Japan but a lot of manufacturers are making similar machines and something should be available in your local (Japanese) bike shop.

As to price, you get what you pay for and for your thousand US dollars you should find something that will do the job.

Hope that helps, good hunting.
Subject Author Posted

New to Cycling - Expert Advice Needed

iantokyo 30 November, 2011 10:17AM

DocB 30 November, 2011 06:53PM

iantokyo 15 February, 2012 06:16AM

cotterpin 30 November, 2011 07:34PM

iantokyo 15 February, 2012 06:20AM

Author:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.