Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: What level of Bike should I buy if intending to cycle 35 miles a day to/from work?

cotterpin
10 December, 2011 12:12PM
This is going to be a pretty solid committment.
Before buying make sure you have the time (average 10-12mph) to spend each day just going to and from work (11/2 hrs each way). Is there somewhere SECURE to put the bike when you get there? Are you fit enough to do the journey? You should be capable of doing 50 mile rides before tackling the journey to work and back.

Allowing for the above you are going to need a bike which is reasonably light, has provision for carrying clothes/books etc, has mudguards and has decent equipment on it. I suggest you will need to spend between £1000 and £1500 in total (including clothing/helmet/shoes) and also budget for servicing about every 3 months.

A hybrid bike would do the job but do not specify suspension (adds weight and uses energy). It will however weigh more than a touring bike with drop handlebars and is not as efficient from a pedalling point of view. The advantage of drops is that you have three positions for the hands, flat bars have one. If you're not happy with drops then consider the "multibar" handlebars which give a much more upright riding position but have three positions for the hands which relieves the strain on the back.
Subject Author Posted

What level of Bike should I buy if intending to cycle 35 miles a day to/from work?

David, London 09 December, 2011 04:43PM

Re: What level of Bike should I buy if intending to cycle 35 miles a day to/from work?

cotterpin 10 December, 2011 12:12PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.