Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Raleigh Airlite 100 or Python RX3

15 January, 2012 01:34PM
Python is the name used by one of the second tier importers and distributors of cycle products. It is effectively a brand name for a generic bike and illustrates one of the points often made on this forum that the name on the side of the bike tells you little about the bike itself. It would not surprise me to find that it was made in the same south east asian factory as the Raleigh bike.

A couple of points for you. There are no good quality road bikes in your price range. What you get is a very basic road bike with basic components on it with some variations in the spec as different importers use different methods to hit the price. For example one of the bikes you picked out uses a more expensive triple chain set to get more gears but compensates by using a cheaper rear wheel.

I am not suggesting these bikes are unsuitable for you, its just that they are very limited in capability. If you intend to do a lot of miles then you will find that basic components tend to wear out faster, wheels go out of true quicker, brakes seize earlier, gear changing deteriorates quicker and the basic alloy frames do not give the sort of ride you might remember from times gone by. As I say that might be OK for you if you are only looking for something to do short rides on and you keep on top of the maintenance. My message is don't expect too much. Certainly treat with a pinch of salt the manufacturer's claims and be wary of reviews, which I am afraid often tend to be more in the nature of press releases for the manufacturer than a proper evaluation of the product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2012 01:35PM by DocB.
Subject Author Posted

Raleigh Airlite 100 or Python RX3

Confoosed 14 January, 2012 05:46PM

DocB 15 January, 2012 01:34PM

Confoosed 16 January, 2012 12:55PM

DocB 16 January, 2012 02:41PM

Confoosed 16 January, 2012 03:35PM

DocB 16 January, 2012 06:29PM

Author:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.