Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: 2nd hand bike advice

Cotterpin
01 March, 2012 01:56PM
Quite frankly I wouldn't touch this bike with a bargepole! I cannot find any details with regards to the specification at all, but at the listed price there will not be much in the way of decent equipment on it. It MAY have Shimano gears but who makes the important parts that you can't see (bottom bracket, headset, wheel hubs etc)? Any bike only available in a supermarket is quite honestly to be taken with a pinch of salt. In the trade we call them BSO's - bicycle shaped objects as they pretend to do what a bicycle should but fail in the attempt.
Used hybrids will be harder to find as thay haven't been around as long but check with the local cycle shops or look on ebay. There are also a couple of web sites to look at, bikesoup and thegorillafirm but of course they may not have a seller near you. Whatever you choose do get on the bike before you buy, and make sure you get the correct size. (Insede leg measurement to the ground less approx 10" (200mm) is a rough guide to frame size.
You will also need to do a fair bit of training if you've not been on a bike since childhood, regardless of how fit you think you are as you will use different leg muscles to those used for running. As an example I sponsored a professional rugby player to do Lands End- John o Groats a few years back. He was off work for 2 weeks afterwards because he'd not done enough training.
Hope that helps a bit.
Subject Author Posted

2nd hand bike advice

nicolancl 29 February, 2012 10:20PM

Murray R Langton 01 March, 2012 10:07AM

Cotterpin 01 March, 2012 01:56PM

Author:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.