Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: What bike do I need?

14 March, 2012 07:49AM
First off, cotterpin's suggestion that you get some cycling in as part of your training is a good one. Apart from training the right muscles, gym work tends to focus on short bursts of effort high intensity whereas on a bike you need sustained work over a lot of hours and the best way to train for it is to ride a bike. Also getting the right clothing is important. The difference between cycling shorts and ordinary underwear/trousers/jeans can be quite amazing.

I will differ from cotterpin on the subject of bike. At your budget level you will get a basic drop handlebar bike or an intermediate quality hybrid. My preference is to go for the better quality you will get from the hybrid. I also suspect that unless the bike is carefully fitted for you (unlikely in a basic bike) you will not use the drop position on a drop handlebar bike. You can get an extra hand position on the hybrid by fitting stubby bar ends. I have had customers, similar to you, successfully completing Lands End/John O' Groats on that sort of bike. If you came into my shop I would point you towards a Ridgeback Velocity because I am a Ridgeback dealer. You can look it up on the web and this will give you an idea of what sort of bike I mean. Check out your local bike shops to see what they recommend.

Good luck with the ride, anything done for Macmillan is well worth the effort.
Subject Author Posted

What bike do I need?

NorthernD 13 March, 2012 01:56PM

DocB 13 March, 2012 03:26PM

NorthernD 13 March, 2012 04:06PM

cotterpin 13 March, 2012 06:22PM

DocB 14 March, 2012 07:49AM

NorthernD 14 March, 2012 09:19AM

DocB 14 March, 2012 02:03PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.