Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

To build or to buy?

Oliver
07 May, 2012 12:58PM
Hello, my partner and I have set a goal to spend a year ( or more ) volunteering in Europe. We want to use bicycles as our main mode of transport to and from different work sites. I've been looking into it and from what I've read we will need decent quality hybrid bikes which can come at a premium. I want to get them together as soon as possible to start training. We don't have a lot of money and we're squireling away any expendable income for the trip ( we're saving for a year before setting off ). We are going to be working for food and accomodation and staying in our tent between sites which is when I anticipate the savings will come in handy so the less we spend now the more we can eat then :-). I know this sounds crazy but we've plateaued for two and a half years and have decided to try out hand at a very different kind of lifestyle. Anyway, I have some experience building bikes and family members who built bikes for Trek who will help me put them together but as they're American in the US I didn't think they could adequately answer my question of whether it would be more economical to build a bike rather than to buy one? Would it not be more practical as well considering we can tailor the bikes to our needs? Or should I not waste my time and just buy them ready made? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Subject Author Posted

To build or to buy?

Oliver 07 May, 2012 12:58PM

Re: To build or to buy?

DocB 07 May, 2012 06:02PM

siwatts 08 May, 2012 12:12AM

janiebike 27 December, 2012 05:23AM

Author:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.