Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

bought the wrong bike?confused smiley

09 November, 2012 03:17PM
Hello

This is my first post here! Can anybody help me with the following?

After much deliberation I've bought my first bike in years, but I'm finding it uncomfortable to ride even though I've been assured it is the right size and sitting position for me.

I'm 60 years old, 6'1.5” tall and overweight. The bike I've bought is a Specialized Hybrid Elite XL (extra large) 2012. The XL is 188-198cm (for a 6'2”-6'6” rider). Whereas, the L (large) is 175-188cm (for a 5'9-6'2” rider). Therefore, the salesman advised, the XL was correct for me.

The seatpost was adjusted for me; and I've checked since that it is correct! However, I've ridden for 40 miles (in total) but finding, quite soon, that my hands (between the thumb and first finger) soon become sore – as if my hands are bearing all the weight of my body. When I was buying the bike, I mentioned that I felt as if I was falling forward, but all he could offer was an extension to the headset - that would add an inch or so to the height of the handlebars - though he wasn't in favour of the idea.
An experienced cyclist also believes the bike is right for me.

I initially thought this problem was due to my lack of experience with a hybrid, but is it possible the bike is just the wrong geometry/ style for me? Or is there anything else you could suggest that might help?

Apologies for the length of this query.

Thank you.
Subject Author Posted

bought the wrong bike?confused smiley

stevep 09 November, 2012 03:17PM

Re: bought the wrong bike?confused smiley

DocB 09 November, 2012 03:44PM

stevep 09 November, 2012 04:21PM

stevep 09 November, 2012 05:31PM

DocB 09 November, 2012 06:34PM

siwatts 09 November, 2012 06:51PM

stevep 09 November, 2012 09:37PM

DocB 09 November, 2012 10:24PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.