Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of
02 April, 2013 07:40AM
Hi Paul,

First off, I know I don't think much of Halfords but is more to do with they way they do things rather than the bikes which are not much different to any thing else sold at the same price. That is if you take "discount" and not the "retail" price as the true price of the bike.

One of the things about cheaper bikes is that the rate at which the components deteriorate. This might not be a problem when you are doing a short distance commute to work where the milages may not be high and your mind is on things other than how well the bike is working. It does become more significant when you do longer distances and spend more time in the saddle. Its then when a bike that works smoothly and feels good can make all the difference in the level of enjoyment.

I prefer quality simple rather than cheap complex. When I look at the bike you have picked out I see disc brakes. I would avoid them in your price range (its getting more difficult to do that) since for the price you will be getting very basic brakes and more importantly, bottom end hubs. For the same money a bike equipped with V brakes will have a better quality V brake and better hubs with the result you will get more miles without bother.

I am a Ridgeback dealer and so naturally I would suggest a bike from the Ridgeback range, the Ridgeback Velocity at your £350 budget. I'm not recommending you rush out an buy one but that you look it up and see what you get for the money. It will give you something to measure other bikes against. I am quite happy to recommend them for longer distance work - I have customers who have done Lands End - John 'o' Groats on them.

Final thought is take your time choosing. Check out a few bike shops and see what they have to say and find one you are comfortable with. Good hunting
Subject Author Posted

Newbie looking for an affordable Hybrid

Hammy 01 April, 2013 11:20PM

Re: Newbie looking for an affordable Hybrid

DocB 02 April, 2013 07:40AM

Hammy 02 April, 2013 09:53AM

DocB 02 April, 2013 12:03PM

Hammy 02 April, 2013 03:08PM

DocB 02 April, 2013 06:26PM

Hammy 02 April, 2013 10:57PM

DocB 03 April, 2013 07:18AM

Hammy 03 April, 2013 07:56AM

Hammy 03 April, 2013 08:23AM

DocB 03 April, 2013 11:09AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.