Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of
02 April, 2013 12:03PM
Hi Paul,

I do not advertise where where my shop is when replying to queries on here because I don't want people to think that my comments are coloured by my seeking commercial advantage. What I can tell you is that I am a long way north of the Thames!

Disc brakes? Like everything else you get what you pay for and so the retail prices of brake sets give you some measure. So a set of basic Shimano Hydraulics will retail at about £180 and so you will not find them on bikes at under £500 or so. The upsides of disc brakes are that they work well, are tolerant of wet and mud and rim damage. That makes them the brake of choice for off roading especially for hard riders. The downsides are that they are expensive even when compared with top class V brakes, pad wear can be high, cable brakes need constant adjustment and the mechanisms on cable operated brakes can seize. I'm not convinced that the upsides outweigh the downsides when thinking about hybrid bikes. What I am sure of is that cheap disc brakes are a waste of time on any bike.

Don't have much contact with Evans bikes... the nearest shop is along way from here...although I see some bought on mail order. They have one or two "own brands" and so are not like Halfords which concentrate on "own brand" offerings where their pricing is silly or misleading, depending on your point of view. Evans are closer to a conventional shop but they are a supermarket operation and so rely on advertising to get custom. Trouble with adverts is that they only tell you part of the story and unless you are in the same business you don't know what questions to ask to find out what they are not telling you.

Docb
Subject Author Posted

Newbie looking for an affordable Hybrid

Hammy 01 April, 2013 11:20PM

Re: Newbie looking for an affordable Hybrid

DocB 02 April, 2013 07:40AM

Hammy 02 April, 2013 09:53AM

DocB 02 April, 2013 12:03PM

Hammy 02 April, 2013 03:08PM

DocB 02 April, 2013 06:26PM

Hammy 02 April, 2013 10:57PM

DocB 03 April, 2013 07:18AM

Hammy 03 April, 2013 07:56AM

Hammy 03 April, 2013 08:23AM

DocB 03 April, 2013 11:09AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.