Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Bought what you guys would probably call a BSO but even so...

09 April, 2013 07:40PM
Hi all

I'm Chris, I'm 39 (though closer to 40) and pretty unfit. I recently decided to do something about my rubbish tolerance to any form of exercise and as I cant even run for a bus, needed to find another way. I used to cycle loads as a kid (back in the days when ALL kids rode bikes and were told to come home "when the street lights come on" ) and thought it would be a great way to get fitter again.

Off road bikes have not really caught my interest and so I thought I'd get a "racer" (how old am I ??)...to discover they are now called road bikes. Now I have since discovered that there are better ways to buy your first bike...but I promise I did do what I thought was some research and read some reviews online.

I ended up buying what you would probably call a bike shaped object....from Tesco......I know, I know!!!!!

It's called a Vertigo Picadilli and it was reduced from around 250 pounds to 125 pounds and it seemed to have some good reviews and even some from a couple of regular riders. So I bought it.

Took it to my local bike shop to get it set up for me and they were really helpful and 15 quid later the brakes and gears were set, seat and handlebars were adjusted and it felt comfy!

Took it out for the first time on Monday, and thought I would try my hand at something easy so selected a route online of bout 11.5 miles but with the option of shortcuts if my heart and lungs decided to give up! Well 1hr and 30mins later, AND NO SHORTCUTS my thighs were jelly, I was flushed all over, and I had the BIGGEST stupid grin on my face EVER.

I may have bought a BSO but right now I am just so glad I decided to give it a go again as it was every bit as much fun as I remember from being a kid. Off out again tonight and really looking forward to it...!

Nice to meet you all in here and hope to post a lot more.

Chris :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2013 07:41PM by Pegasusl.
Subject Author Posted

Bought what you guys would probably call a BSO but even so...

Pegasusl 09 April, 2013 07:40PM

Re: Bought what you guys would probably call a BSO but even so...

Murray R Langton 10 April, 2013 08:44AM

Pegasusl 11 April, 2013 06:45PM

DocB 11 April, 2013 07:46PM

Pegasusl 11 April, 2013 08:22PM

Murray R Langton 11 April, 2013 11:07PM

Pegasusl 12 April, 2013 07:52PM

cyclepop 21 May, 2013 08:58AM

Author:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.