Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Bought what you guys would probably call a BSO but even so...

11 April, 2013 07:46PM
Hi,

In response to your question about where the manufacturers look for cost savings, the answer is everywhere!

One of the things you buy when you spend more money is longevity of components and in particular their tolerance to be exposed to the elements. Cheap bikes have their place and are quite suitable for people who don't do many miles, generally potter about away from traffic, don't ride around in the wet, keep it stored in a nice dry warm place and regularly lubricate the moving parts. Under those constraints, letting a bike shop service it every year or so will be OK, especially if the shop replaces wear and tear components (cables and pads mostly) with something better than the original equipment. Most people don't follow that sort of regime and if you ride a lot in all weathers then the brakes will loose their efficiency fairly quickly, the gears will get vaguer and vaguer and the steel parts will begin to go rusty. In addition, the hubs and bottom bracket and head set will get rough and develop some play in them.

If I can illustrate what i mean by talking about about extremes I come across in the shop...

I have a customer who is 90 years old and uses a bike to ride down a half mile farm track to his sons house for a brew of a morning. The track is flat and level. Any old bike would do for him. He doesn't need brakes at the speed he goes and he just uses one gear. At 5 miles a week he is never going to wear anything out especially since he would not go out if it was wet.

On the other hand I have customers who have bought bikes for their teenager from big retailers having been guided by the price and the size of the "discount". They turn up at the shop with a rusting pile of wreckage with just about every conceivable part broken, bent or dropping off with the bike only a few months old. A bit of bashing up and down kerbs, jumping off walls and being left out in the garden has done for it in no time at all. My advice is usually to take the thing to the tip since the cost of putting it right would far exceed the value of the bike and even then it would be back in the same state after a few months because the bike is fundamentally too low a spec for the individual riding it.
Subject Author Posted

Bought what you guys would probably call a BSO but even so...

Pegasusl 09 April, 2013 07:40PM

Murray R Langton 10 April, 2013 08:44AM

Pegasusl 11 April, 2013 06:45PM

DocB 11 April, 2013 07:46PM

Pegasusl 11 April, 2013 08:22PM

Murray R Langton 11 April, 2013 11:07PM

Pegasusl 12 April, 2013 07:52PM

cyclepop 21 May, 2013 08:58AM

Author:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.