Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: Shimano gears

31 August, 2008 11:47AM
Hi,

Wow what an issue to raise!

First, the simple bit. FD-050 (FD stands for Front Derailleur) is the basic Shimano front mech which comes with shims to fit all seat tubes and can operate by being pulled from the top or the bottom. I would fit it into the Tourney level.

Getting your head around all the Shimano stuff, that is a different matter. I'll give you a few generalities and like all generalities somebody will come up somwhere with detail that does not fit.

In the mountainbike world the shimano general hierarchy is: Tourney, Acera/Alivio, Deore, LX, XT, and XTR. As you go up the list then the kit is better made to better standards, is lighter, works much more smoothly and is more expensive. What you have then to realise is that Shimano do change the the kit in each of these ranges and each time they do then they will give the changed parts a new number. Thats where the Mxxx codes come from. You will find lots and lots of them in the tech section of the Shimano website. As a general guide you will not go far wrong if you stick with the names rather than the codes.

What you have picked up on the bike you mention is that the bits are at different levels in the spec range. More than that, I suspect that if you look at all the other boring bits ( hubs, chainset, bottom bracket, headset) you will find other parts made to even more different standards.

I keep saying on here that although manufacturers are always trying to persuade you otherwise, you get what you pay for. One way they do it is to put a one or two higher spec items on a bike (the rear derailleur is the usual candidate because you can see it) and then put cheaper stuff elsewhere to meet a price target. Whether they are trying to deceive or not is a matter of opinion. Some mix ups work OK. Others work OK if ridden within the capabilities of the lower spec kit. There are some practices which I really don't like.... bottom brackets which look like a shimano sealed unit until you get them out and find a cheap unsealed unit that has collapsed within a few months, is the thing I hate most. My own preference is always for as even a spec as possible across the bike. You then know what you are dealing with and what its capabilities are.

Hope that helps
Subject Author Posted

Shimano gears

Fatso 30 August, 2008 11:37PM

DocB 31 August, 2008 11:47AM

MARK 11 June, 2010 03:33PM

BHPrice 11 May, 2011 06:43PM

DocB 11 May, 2011 10:13PM

DAMION 09 October, 2010 04:25PM

DocB 09 October, 2010 07:00PM

lynn patton 18 May, 2011 04:56PM

DocB 18 May, 2011 10:59PM

wayne1966 26 May, 2012 04:56AM

DocB 26 May, 2012 07:15AM

Cotterpin 26 May, 2012 02:48PM

Author:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.