Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

SITE SEARCH

FIND A LOCAL UK BIKE SHOP

Show shops within miles of

Re: derailleur v hub gears

cyclepop
01 August, 2011 10:28AM
Re Derailliurv Hubs from Murray B Langton
Thank you for your article on hub gears & derailliur.
Even though I have ridden on and off for the past 64 years I have not had much to
do with derailiur gears and I am on a steep learning curve.
I have ridden Sturmey Archer 3 & 4speed bikes, I have ridden single speed bikes both
fixed and freewheel versions when living in areas with not too steep hills.
I now live at the top of what I believe is the third highest point in Oxfordshire,
so that when I go out cycling I always have a very steep hill to climb to return home,
plus any intervening hills.
I am looking to get the best selection of gears that I can this seems to be derailliurs
But hub gears are it appears less trouble to maintain and going by what I have experience of
less fiddling with gear settings.
As said I am new to derailiurs and it seems I am always having to make small adjustments to this system
Whereas hub gears I needed to give a small tweak to, about on average every three to four months.
I was intrigued by the information that you had ridden the Lands End to John of Grouts run I was looking in envy
at a website for this run a little while ago. It was a 15 night stopover tour and one would need to
ride 70 to 75 miles per day to complete it, of course one can ride lighter and get ones luggage carried by the
firm organising the trip, that helps,as I remember doing a 500 mile trip back in 1951 with two friends
and we carried food,drink,cooking stove,tent,sleeping gear,and extra clothes.a bit different then.
But getting back to that trip of yours I could not keep up a daily run of that kind,my maximum distance at the moment is
20 miles.The worst thing that I suffer with is a sore bottom, this I am hoping to relieve as I have just sent away
for a new Bookes saddle, this,once it has been worn in I hope help me to ride a bit longer and further.
One last point about hub gears pertaining to the Rohloff 14 speed I think that might be going too far and might be
prone to trouble.If I went the route of a hubbed gear I think then an 8 speed would be to my mind
the most satisfactory.
I will continue with the derailliur I have at the moment and see if I begin to like it if so Imy new bike will have it.
If not then I will go back to hub gears.
Thank you once again for your article.
Regard cyclepop.
Subject Author Posted

derailleur v hub gears

cyclepop 25 July, 2011 06:12PM

cotterpin 26 July, 2011 03:10PM

cyclepop 26 July, 2011 03:50PM

cotterpin 26 July, 2011 06:44PM

DocB 26 July, 2011 06:55PM

cyclepop 26 July, 2011 07:44PM

nicm 26 July, 2011 08:43PM

cyclepop 27 July, 2011 08:42AM

Murray R Langton 30 July, 2011 04:34PM

cyclepop 01 August, 2011 10:28AM

Murray R Langton 01 August, 2011 01:58PM

single speed 22 August, 2011 07:59AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
WhyCycle and all content is ©Copyright SiWIS 2001-2014 except where stated.